Saturday 31 January 2015

Misty Trees in Branford Park

Today it was raining when I arrived at Branford Park. It started out heavy, then eased to drizzle. I was quite taken with this clump of sodden trees. I liked the depth and the tangle, but there was also structure. Some light from distant fields could be seen, and they seemed much brighter than they actually were.
I never think of these paintings as necessarily finished works of art. Rather they are the opportunity to study interesting challenges. Sort of impressionist sketches in real time.

I think that this one works in a moody sort of way.

Wouldn't it be great if we had sublime subjects such as the Archway Rocks everyday? The simple fact is we don't and can't, but we can prepare ourselves for those special moments by making the best of what is available.

At least, that is what I keep telling myself while I'm standing plein air painting in the rain...



15032. "Misty Trees in Branford Park". Oil on panel. 6x8 in. $100

Any painting from this blog may be purchased by emailing me at

rosswhitlock@inspire.net.nz

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment